Monday, September 19, 2011

First Day of Work - Complete!

Hiiii,
After our big Sunday outing I slept for 10 hours last night!  That's pretty unusual for me so I guess my body needed that.  When I woke up I went to Hussein Sagar Lake which is a big lake in Hyderabad that has a statue of Buddha in the middle.  Someone equated it to our Statue of Liberty but I'm not sure that is a great comparison.  You can take boats out to the statue but we happily viewed it from the shore.  We also visited a store to look at crafts and I got a pretty good deal on a decorative elephant for myself!  My first purchase of many, I'm sure.  :)
I took a small nap before going into work tonight...the shift here is 8:45 pm to 6:15 am.  UHC offices occupy three floors in a building very close to our hotel in the High Tech area of the city.  Our training room is on the 6th floor but we walked down the to the 5th floor where they have a cafeteria (with tvs...cricket was on, of course) and also an outdoor balcony-type patio!  I was impressed and wanted to take a picture but it was dark so I'll wait until I can get one when it is light out.  We went out there to have cake for one of our trainees birthdays, which was yesterday.  Her name is Bhargavi (pronounced Bar-gah-vee) and I'm guessing she turned 22 but didn't ask.  She had a beautiful outfit on and said it was a gift for her birthday.  I took a picture of it that I will post on here.  Something interesting about the cake was that people put cake on her face, kind of like at weddings where the bride and groom sometimes put cake on each others faces.  She also brought me my piece of cake and fed me the first bite lol.  Something new every day, right?

We have 11 in our class, two of them being women, which is a change from my department at home which has women as the majority and a few men.  They all have laptops and we're sitting in a conference room around one big table.  I brought them some gum and Hersheys candies since Kristen requested that...the quality of the chocolate here is not the same as in the US.  Also, I feel it is good to show up on your first day bringing treats!  :)

It's almost 7 am here and I'm off to bed for the night...or day.  I hope you're all enjoying the season premiere of Dancing with the Stars or whatever new fall tv you're excited about!

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you are doing just fine like I know you would!!! Have fun for me :) Kristi

    ReplyDelete